Wednesday, September 9, 2009

Inglourious Basterds: not sure why it took me two weeks to see this


I always feel pretty badass when I leave a Quentin Tarantino movie. It's almost like I believe that his world exists and I just have to be a part of it, all of a sudden a dagger ends up strapped to my ankle and I have a list of enemies thats written in sharpie in my back left pocket. Even though I've never wanted to be called a basterd, I would compromise.

A very short synopsis: Inglourious Basterds is a film that displays an alternate history lesson on how World War II actually ended. Now I could go on, but lets be honest most Tarantino movies are best when you just let him do his work.

To keep with tradition Inglourious Basterds is written into five chapters giving the audience an understanding of Tarantino's multiple stories going on at once. I love how he does this, not only to help me follow the story, but the title to the chapters are always comical. (This makes me wish that he would write novel's, I have a feeling they would be pretty entertaining.) Another Tarantino signature is guest appearances. There was only one that caught me by surprise for this film and they give it away in the opening title's, but I just hate ruining any fun for a movie goer so you'll have to go and find out who it is. Finally, his last signature is violence. It isn't always the typical type of violence that every action movie has, but bright red blood squirting everywhere is usually a must. With it being a war movie I guess you would probably think that there would be a lot of violence in it and there is. There were more than a handle full of scenes where I had my hands covering my face, but it wouldn't be a Tarantino film if I didn't.

I absolutely loved the cast for this film. I will admit that I am still quite in love with Brad Pitt and his role as Lt. Aldo Raine was pretty hysterical. His Tennessee accent was never short of red neck and the scar across his neck gave him that 'you don't want to mess with me' attitude. He was supported by an eclectic group of gentlemen(I use gentlemen loosley) that made up the rest of the Inglourious Basterds. Office star and writer B.J. Novak was one of them. (Now, if you aren't an Office fan then this will mean nothing to you.) Novak's writing and acting style is never short of surprising and dry and his role as the temp gone bad was one of my favorite stories to follow on the last couple seasons of The Office. I was very excited when I found out that he would be a character in this film and even though I knew his role would be minor, I had no idea that he would be given such a great scene with actors Brad Pitt and Christoph Waltz. In this scene there is the final show down between the two rival countries and Novak's character is a silent one at best for the whole film. Yet, in this scene is given dialogue that not only supports a pivotal scene, but a bit of Novak's humor shines through. I can only wonder if he was casted as Smithson Utivich for this scene only, a girl can dream.

*I guess to really appreciate a Tarantino film I should have "tarantinoed" this post, well just read it backwards, that should do the trick.

No comments:

Post a Comment