Wednesday, March 11, 2009

3.10 Wendy & Lucy

A tale about a girl, trying to get to Alaska with her dog. She then ends up losing her dog and spends the rest of the movie trying to find her.

Deja Vu:
-Reminiscent of "Castaway" as Wendy (Michelle Williams) seeks solace and sanity through her companion Lucy (a la Tom Hanks and Wilson). Also a spark of "Into the Wild" with the whole escaping for life in Alaska.

Williams is exceptionally poignant in this film. I sat there thinking really, the girl from Dawson's Creek? She takes on the role of homeless Wendy extremely well. I loved the humming throughout the film; it was so real. I know I sure do hum when I'm walking around aimlessly while planning life in my head.

Really loved the fact no one comes to her rescue so to speak. She befriends a few people who help her out, but mostly she's on her own and she knows it and she wears that fear so well on her face. It seemed so real. One particular scene, which blew me out of the water, is where Wendy is sleeping in the woods and comes across a man. I sat there bewildered wondering how in the hell she could keep her composure.

When the movie ended, I wanted more. Not necessarily more answers, but more glimpses into the life of Wendy. It was like an hour and a half movie so maybe that had something to do with it; we're all used to sitting there for at least two hours.

Good previews: Sin Nombre (directed by the "Y tu Mama Tambien" boys), O'Horten (subtitled, Lisa won't enjoy it)

No comments:

Post a Comment