Wednesday, March 25, 2009

Duplicity 3.24


The wonderful duo from Closer team up as spies who are set to dupe the companies they "work" for. The chemistry between Clive Owen and Julia Roberts is no secret and it simply sizzles in this movie. The film cuts from present to past, but thankfully all the past shots are shot in different cities, where the present is filmed mainly in NYC. It made it easy for this blonde to keep up.

Paul Giamatti (Sideways) and Tom Wilkinson (Michael Clayton) play the competing head honchos. Roberts works for Wilkinson's company, but actually is a mole working for Paul Giamatti's company. Owen works for the spy group, which uses Roberts tips, Giamatti hired to scoop the newest product news to come out of Wilkinson's company. Keeping up?

The story line grabs you in too. As someone who rarely thinks during movies, I found myself completely bewildered at every turn in the story. It was a feeling reminiscent to Ocean's 11, 12, 13 movies, that "Man how did they pull that off?!" feeling.

I learned three reasons why I would make a spy despite the fact I love wearing black and trench coats:
1) When I lie, I smile. Thus, cover blown at being a mole.
2) When I see people I know, I either a) run to hug them b) smile or c) awkwardly laugh. I could never carry on a conversation with someone I "didn't" know.
3) I am not observant. All the little clues placed over the city and having to keep your cool when you're being followed...so not for me.

That said, did leave the theatre feeling like someone was trailing me. I kept looking over my shoulder after exiting the theatre with the 8 other people in the film. I'm sure if Clive Owen was tailing me, I wouldn't have been speed walking to the car.

No comments:

Post a Comment