Monday, October 12, 2009

The Boys Are Back


A wonderful adaptation of a widower's story in raising a son without a mother and a son which he abandoned years before. Clive Owen, the father, loses his wife Katie and is left with their young son Artie. Owen struggles to find a sense of purpose and meaning in the world all while trying to help Artie deal with his mother's death. So Owen decides to bring in his eldest son, Harry, whom he left in England when he married Artie's mum. Harry, going through the turbulent teen years jumps at the opportunity to get to know his father.

As always, nothing turns out as one would hope. We see the constant struggle of raising a family, holding a job and maintaining a household. I couldn't help but see each of my parents in the role as they began the journey of single parenting.

What really makes this film come alive is the idea of fun. Owen has few rules in his house and tends to follow an every-man-for-himself daily routine. This film is an adventure through loss, grief, coping, trust and love. Elements I think films tend to over look when they have a traumatic grief story line.

Favorite scenes would be the "dangerous" things Owen lets the children do. While driving down the beach with his son on the hood, my movie goer partner promptly whispers "That's so dangerous!" as I sat there green with envy and wishing I knew someone who could drive me down the "beach" of Lake Michigan come 10 months from now when the weather is above 60. These scenes remind us all that life shouldn't be made to be lived in all seriousness and that sometimes, the only way to move on is shed a few tears, then go do something exhilarating.

This film will cause you to well up with a few tears if you're cold and dead inside like myself or sob like Ms. Zeller did, especially when you see Clive Owen put down his tough and rough guard. Bring the Kleenex either way.

1 comment:

  1. I bawled my eyes out during this movie!! amazingly great!

    ReplyDelete