Sunday, October 11, 2009

Hurt Locker-accidental greatness


Let me set up the scene for you in how I ended up seeing this movie. It was a lovely September day(yes I realize this is late), the sun in shining, fall is still a few weeks away and I am trying to soak up the last great 70 degree days here in Chicago. I decide to reward myself with an afternoon movie and put on my favorite cotton dress, flip flops and sunglasses and walk the grand mile to the local independent movie theatre. Popcorn and a Diet Coke are in my future along with the romantic, feel good comedy called My One and Only. I buy my ticket and stroll up the stairs to the next movie theatre patron that tells me my movie is playing up the stairs and to the left. I go in and find my perfect seat-center seat, about midway up the staircase. I find that there are a few men in the theatre(which of course I found strange), but figured I wasn't here to judge. About 15 minutes after the movie should have begun the previews start, same as always(the independent movie theatre doesn't exactly do genre selected previews). Then, BAM! The opening scene to The Hurt Locker comes on. And it's grotesque. You know when you think you are taking a sip of water and it is really vodka? Well that's how this felt. Realizing immediately what has happened, I do the awkward grab my purse and decide to make the theatre switch. As I stand up the screen goes into slow motion. I was mesmerized by the cinematography of this film and immediately sat down. Setting my popcorn and DC aside (this really isn't a movie for props) I drop my purse and am enraptured by the story that is folding out in front of me.

The Hurt Locker is an amazing film that tells a story of young soldiers who are Bravo's bomb disposal unit. 39 days are left at their station in Baghdad and become their countdown to going home. Yet, each day this three member team is asked to step into the most dangerous scenario's in order to protect civilians.

Jeremy Renner plays Sergeant Will James, the new leader for unit Bravo. Saying that he is 'rough around the edges' would be quite the understatement. He doesn't seem to mind getting right up in the mess of the war and taking off his gloves while doing it. His life is the war and being a solider in it and doesn't seem to know life outside it. While watching Sgt. James and his unit fight through their internal struggles, the chaos of the war reveals itself that changes life for them as they know it.

Even though this isn't what I had signed up for on that sunny September day, it ended up being a great surprise. I would recommend this movie and put it on my must see list. Jeremy Renner's performance is outstanding and was even mentioned to have the acting skills of "a young Russell Crowe." Don't let this film pass you by, make it an accident in your life as well.

1 comment:

  1. FAVORITE MOVIE OF 2009! This script was just insane. Best movie about Iraq hands down.

    ReplyDelete