Friday, July 31, 2009

500 Days of Summer


We saw this movie on its opening day, what, three weeks ago now. And we simply loved it. Just utterly fantastic. Couldn't say enough about this film, so here's a top five list of the 500s of things we loved.

1) Joseph Gordon-Levitt: Where have you been hiding? You stole our hearts and breath in "Angels in the Outfield" with your angelic call in the big game. You simply shine in this film. Your portrayal of Tom in the film makes us love you and hate you at times, just like the real guys in our lives.

2) The soundtrack: I mean, in this day and age, no one can walk down the block without being plugged in. So when a movie delivers a great mixtape/playlist for our lives, we love it. There's some oldies thrown in there along with some newer, lesser-known acts. Regina Spektor's "Us" has won a spot on my coveted "Walking to the El" playlist.

3) Truth: How many rom-coms show life exactly how it is? Umm not many. In fact, as I sit here staring at the embarrassing amount of DVDs I own, the only realistic movies I find are Rudy (based on true story, so it has truth to it), Monsters Inc (your friends will always love you) and Saving Private Ryan (nobody lives forever). So imagine my excitement when I find a rom-com I not only relate to, but feel like I've lived in, and am doomed to live in for awhile. Honesty, it's brutal, but it's needed.

4) Don't date your co-workers: No matter what people say, it will end badly. And you will inevitably quit your job, or hate being there more than you already do. This only works on the Mad Men set and that's because they regularly drank throughout the day and women bit their tongues instead of speaking up (cough, Joan, cough).

5) Youth: Tom seeks relationship guidance from his much younger sister. As someone who has a sister 14 years younger, I pray I never have to call her when I'm 30 and she's 16 telling me that so and so was a total tool and she knew it all along. But there's something to say the youngsters. They sure bring a new view to situations and I'm glad Tom's sister got to share her candid views.

So go see it already.

And if you're a guy, and an artist, and need a canvas to draw the Chicago skyline on, my arm's ready. Although I'm not sure if I have the patience for you to color in the windows, but we'll see.


No comments:

Post a Comment