Wednesday, July 8, 2009

My Sister's Keeper

Rule #1 about this movie: don’t forget your Kleenex. Crying from the beginning to the end I had to put my hood up to hide my wet cheeks.

Based on Jodi Picoult’s bestselling novel, this story takes you through the lives of the Fitzgerald family. First up is Kate, who is played by Sofia Vassilieva. Kate is the oldest of the Fitzgerald children and at a young age was diagnosed with leukemia. After going through trials and tribulations, her parents decide to go through with vitro fertilization to have a third child who will be genetically made to serve has a donor for Kate. Enter Abby, played by Abigail Breslin. Abby is an adorable, loving sister who has been poked and prodded throughout her life to help save her sister. When she is asked to donate her kidney, Abby decides that enough is enough and attempts to be emancipated medically from her parents.

From the very start of this movie I was enwrapped in the story of the Fitzgerald family. I really loved the way that the director and screen writer took the audience through each character, showing the past obstacles they’ve all taken in order to reach the point that the movie takes place.

I would recommend this to anyone looking for a good tear jerker. Also, I haven’t had the chance to read the book yet, but I’ve heard that it is a bit different. So if you are looking for the exact storyline of the novel, please don’t be disappointed.

Seriously, don’t forget the Kleenex.

1 comment:

  1. Okay. So this movie was missing a few key ingredients from the book. So viewers beware. Cameron Diaz was okay, just weird to see her in a grown-up role (with kids). Jennifer Aniston pulled it off okay enough in Marlety & Me, but the whole time I just kept thinking Diaz was the big sister or aunt.

    Who's the husband in this movie? He's fantastic.

    And as for the Kleenex, I had a few tears dribble down the face. But then again, I'm like the tin man...if I only had a heart...

    ReplyDelete