Tuesday, August 25, 2009

Art & Copy: Creativity can solve anything

Art & Copy was a surprisingly funny and thought provoking documentary. This story tells of the big names in the advertising industry, everyone from Hal Riney to Mary Wells and Dan Wieden were interviewed and carefully researched by Director Doug Pray. Their stories were told through personal interviews and examples of their work that intertwined the round table discussions each commercial or print ad went through before hitting production.

Since I have a strong interest in advertising, I knew that I would enjoy this film and learn more about the history this industry has lead over the past 30 years. Yet, I had no idea that I would fall in love with most of the faces behind each of these great companies.

The honesty and wittiness of most of these guys was pretty remarkable and at times a bit shocking. I am so sad to know that Hal Riney died in the Spring of 2008. I would have loved to have had the chance to meet this man. His relaxed posture and at times goofy attitude had me laughing even when he wasn't saying anything.

I believe that Doug Pray really had the chance to see into the lives of the great ad people over the past 50 years and truly captured the genuine motivation behind most of their work. All in all a great documentary that allows you a backstage pass into the advertising industry.

No comments:

Post a Comment