Saturday, August 8, 2009

Paper Heart


Is it a movie? Documentary? Rom Com? That's for the viewer to decide. My personal feel, a little of all.

In this film, we see Charlyne Yi begin a journey to discover what love is and whether or not everyone experiences it, because as of yet, she has not. She solicits advice from normal Americans from all across the country, children at a playground in Atlanta and her friends. It's very "When Harry Met Sally"-esque. And apparently, Charlyne has the best social circle as her friends include Demitri Martin, Seth Rogen and even that guy who played the elf Bernard in "The Santa Clause" (though his name is never revealed in the film or on the film credits...he's the host at the party Charlyne and Michael Cera meet at).

So we see Charlyne and Michael meet and eventually, fall in love. The beginnings of their relationship are all too true. Feeling the waters of a new relationship (whether pleutonic or romantic) is always tricky. And it's nice to see the awkwardness most of us tend to feel over the things we say portrayed in this film. Michael Cera plays himself, which is a lot like any other character he has ever played. If I wasn't so inlove with him, I would complain.

Note: If your name is Sali Sumer, you will fall more madly, deeply in love with Michael. Especially when you see what he wears at the bowling alley as I'm 100% positive that shirt (courtesy of a Mr. Grant) is hanging in your closet.

We see Charlyne deny her feelings for Michael and eventually succumb to them, which is what most of us in this world do anyways.

The paper scenes were a little much for me. And not needed. It was very Von Trapp like if the Von Trapp children were trapped in the STL's Laumier Sculpture Park Art Camp for a summer.

What I really loved in this film: the director/friend Nick played by Jake Johnson. He reminded me so much of my best pal in this world Jeremy (Jem). Jem, just like Nick in this film, is there to analyze all of my deepest darkest fears about boys, egg me on on what to do (which I usually do the opposite of) and help me see the errors of my ways (which he's always a little too eager to point out...). But it is because of Nick that Charlyne begins to sort out her feelings for Michael and act on them. Everyone in life deserves a Nick/Jem to help them sail the seas of love.

Don't see this film if you've recently broke up with someone or are in the on deck circle of a potential relationship.

No comments:

Post a Comment