Thursday, February 12, 2009

Facing Windows 2.11

This movie isn't new and I didn't know that. I figured I landed a one-night showing of this movie at the theater. So I go. Only to find, it's the Jewish Film Festival. I still decide to go see it; sounded good enough to get me down here, so I head inside.

I am greeted with white, bald and gray heads sitting in the jam packed theater. A nice woman named Ellie comes up, chats with me and wants to know how to get younger people to the festival. I saddle away and look for a seat. I sit next to a wrinkly old man named Eli. Who talks me up a bit. After the director asks survivors to stand, I see Eli struggle to stand up. When he sits back down, he starts telling his tale to the woman next to him. He then itches his arm to expose numbers.

I'm bewildered. And didn't really pay attention through most of the movie. It was good, but I couldn't help but think the movie was acting out in front of me right now with me and Eli. In the film (which is subtitled), Giovanna befriends an older camp survivor named Davide. The theme screaming at you is all about freedom: freedom in your life, choice, actions. I sat there wondering if my Davide was sitting to my right.

When the film ended, Eli invited me to get some coffee with him. So I did. And we sit and I listen when he starts dishing life advice to me and how I, like Giovanna in the film, need to decide what I want to do and just do it, no questions asked.

If I learned and walked away with anything last night, it's Eli's words. Here, I have a Holocaust survivor telling me not to settle in life and do what I want and love to do. I don't really know how a person can ignore those words coming from someone who was denied that very will. 

Needless to say, I immediately went home and googled the next film festival showing in the area and will be going. That $10 ticket ended up buying me so much more than a show.

No comments:

Post a Comment