Sunday, January 10, 2010

Invictus


I am the master of my fate. / I am the captain of my soul.

As a huge Clint Eastwood fan, I could not wait to see this film. I first became addicted to Eastwood's films after his adaptation of my favorite book, Mystic River. Since then, I think his work continues to be fantastic, sans Changeling--didn't really feel that one.

This film takes on Nelson Mandela's (Morgan Freeman) departure from Prison and rise as the President of South Africa. In an effort to join the people of South Africa, Mandela seeks the help from acclaimed rugby player, Francois Pienaar (Matt Damon).

I truly believe Morgan Freeman was made for this role. His looks and speech match Mandela perfectly. Hearing Freeman articulate the inspiring words of Mandela was all too real for me.

In an effort to win over the people, Mandela believes a Rugby World Championship will help solve the people's problems. And I have to agree with this notion. The way a city, town, state and university come together after a common goal is achieved, it's truly powerful. As both Sam and I have been fortunate to see a championship arrive to our college town during our senior year, all enemies became friends as you ran up and down the streets chanting, high fiving and hugging.

Eastwood's adorably attractive son makes an appearance in the film near the end, so be sure to watch for this looker.

No comments:

Post a Comment