Sunday, January 10, 2010

The Young Victoria


After hearing about this film at the Chicago Film Festival, I was extremely excited for its release. The film chronicles the beginning stages of Queen Victoria's reign. As someone who does not know a lot about the monarch (and how you become a Duke and how a Duke can rule a country while his brother is king of another), I always find myself enthralled in these films.

Emily Blunt's portrayal of Queen Victoria is beautiful. As an actress who typically does supporting roles (Sunshine Cleaning, Devil Wears Prada), I was eager to see her in a leading role. It's fascinating to watch her go from secluded girl to the Queen of Britain as well as see her let her guard down for Prince Albert (Rupert Friend).

The film has a bit of a feminist message, but it was one that I enjoyed. Friend does a fantastic job as Prince Albert and his devotion to Victoria is enough to make any girl long to be a princess once again.

"I should find one to play it with you, not for you."

No comments:

Post a Comment